Wednesday, SiteCore Hell day?!

What a day! Just finished work, correction, just home! Real work will start ;).
It was around 12 o’clock that one of our managers called me on my cellphone. Till that moment I was working on the documentation of a quite big replication-process which I’ve configured last 2 nights and some other (smaller stuff) for the same customer(server movement, software upgrades, etc :P).
Manager: “Then the call came in, big customer X does have a serious problem.”
Me: “Uhhm… urr… Well, quite busy at the moment.”
Manager: “But documents, pictures and even items aren’t displayed!”
Me(looks at the Customer’s website): “Hell, buuttt… I can see it works, check you mail dude! Here’s the link…”
Manager: “Definitelly not! Check your mail”
[Another 25 links where sent]
Me: “Can’t do anything remote and I’m also very busy… It is already plannend that I’ll go to that customer this Friday, so be calm!”
Manager: “Urrr urrr urrr”

Three hours later… Big boss comes in:
BB: “You really have to go to customer X!”
Me: “But have to finish this stuff today.”
BB: “The nicest part of my position is that I can make those decisions.”
Me: “Aight, but… I’ve got a lil’ problem… :P”

Together with the Big Boss in his super cool car to Customer X ๐Ÿ˜€ :D:
Me: “Quite nice car”
BB: “The car isn’t the problem, the problem today is the solution for X ;)”

Finally I was at Customer’s X office. There they explained me the problem:
The staging module of SiteCore does not puiblish correct and some parts(like some items) aren’t diplayed as well, or are only diplayed for 50%.
Customer: “Can you analyse the problems? Can you give us some options to fix the problem and can you fix it afterwards? Thank you! We knew we could count on LECTRIC.”
Me: “Uhhhmm yes uhhmmm yes!”

Finally I figured out that publishing didn’t looked like that was the problem. The problem of the last Staging module is quite simple: the webservice doesn’t remember the user’s session(Logged Out directly after Logging In), so the files doesn’t retrieve the right rights.
Now the second part.. All the items are available in all databases. But some pictures and linked media-items aren’t displayed, the whole field is an empty object(value string.Empty, innerXml, outerXml, etc.) and guess what.., these files(in the media library) are also unavailable on the current server. Because the Staging isn’t working… remember… ๐Ÿ˜‰
Last but not least: I forgot one detail. We are running there on SC 5.0.6.(1/2/x). Better known as SiteCore Bug Release ;). No it does work fine, actually, it did work fine for 2 months! And why fix the first SC5 site in the world, when notthing is really broken?
I have tomorrow to resolve this problem and tomorrow and because this friday and monday we have to extend their ‘Webfarm’ with another ‘Webfarm’.(keep in touch with the new licences :D) The next project will be, upgrading SiteCore… I hope…

Hope I can post the solution tomorrow…

Editting items in SC4

Yesterday, I played a lot with SiteCore 4. For some (mostly) preformence reasons, we decided to build one of the new sites in SC4.
One of our new guys, just got his first introduction to SiteCore last friday. His first task was creating a small poll module.
So I tried to help him out saving results in a content item. But it wouldn’t work so quickly. Finally I just said: I’ll firgure it out for you this damn weekend ;). So yesterday I started working on it, but after 2 hours of useless coding I quit and wrote an e-mail to support.

Here’s their answer:

IMasterItem itm = Sitecore.MasterFactory.GetItem( id );

if ( IsEmpty( itm.GetFieldValue( PUBLISH_FIELD_KEY )))

{

itm.GetLatestVersion().SetFieldValue( PUBLISH_FIELD_KEY, request.PublishIsoDate );

itm.RegisterEdited();

itm.Commit();

itm = null;

}

The only thing to do left is to publish the item. Guess that will not be the problem. ..

That’s it for now, tomorrow, I hope, more information about our first experiences with SC5 and FireBird.

New SiteCore Licensing model is a BETA?!

At my work, LECTRIC, I looked together with our Business Development guy, Bert, to the brand new licensing model of SiteCore. Especially to the option small bussiness, which is, in my eyes, more less then ideal…

Let me explain:
A basic restriction of 2000 items in Sitecore(do you count them on the master-database? Are it just content items? Are templates/masters included?) I hope we don’t have to look for possibilities to decrease the items we’ve created.
And the strangest part of this license: 1 CPU per server… Where can you get a server with just one CPU nowadays? Next to it, when I’m writing webapplications the CPU is most of the time the least interesting part. Because of this new licensing mode, I guess we have to create a new CPU based test-plan.
Bert and I also considert that offering a kind of shared hosting(several Sitecore installations on one server, somethimes the database extern on a database server) to our customers becomes very hard. For our smaller customers could that option be very interesting…

I guess this will be the best option for these customers will be from now:
– Database server(FireBird) with several SC5 (Client) installations and the Staging module configured
– Webserver(-s) with several websites, runtimes and Staging modules
As far as I can see now, the costs of these customers will be: 10.000 euro for licensing(SC Small Business, Staging Module, Runtime/Webfarm). So this means, the price of the shared hosting will be doubled.
After all, I guess, some of our customers get scared from the new licensing model. Which I think SiteCore waqsn’t mentioned to do.

When I look at the stuff above, I definitelly hope this new Licensing model is a Bรƒยจta and will be changed after the first experiences of the Partners…