Today my feedreader pointed me on the release of SP1 for Visual Studio 2005. Luckily, I wasn’t programming this morning, so had the change to update Visual studio. But, I have to say, the SP1 is a bloody hell. I’m not talking about the functionality, I’m talking about the installation!
- Required: 2,5 Gb(!!!!!!) free space on your Windows Disk(proparly C)
- An install file of 430 Mb…
- You have to uninstall the Web Application Projects
- Installation time on my machine: approx half an hour(Centrino 1,7 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM)
It has been crashing over 6 times because of diskspace, one time because it couldn’t find a file, one time ebcause of SQL Server 2005 was running(error message occurt until SQL Server was stopped).
Guess the best way to install:
- Buy a Rubic Cube
- Disable all services
- Close all your applications
- Remove all your mp3’s/webcasts/podcasts from your desktop 😉
- Clean your MSN history(90Mb for me :P)
- Start the installation
- Drink as much coffee as possible
- Have lunch!
- Look if it isn’t crashed anyway 😉
Friday… bloody service pack day 😛
By the way.. you can fidn your download-links to the ‘service’ pack here!
For the AJAX dudes: ScottGu anounces the RC1 for ASP.NET AJAX 1.0.