Well, wasn’t so bad afterall . Did my job and everybody was happy.
Now.. How to do this in a way everybody starts from zero and everybody can do the basics in Sitecore at the end of the course.
- Classroom with for every 2 students 1 computer
- Working demo-site
- Working site of the customer
Basic Editor training:
1. Introduce yourself (see the Sitecore Training Materials for Developers and Administrators)
2. Introduce the students: Names(write them down!), jobtitle, relation to the site/intranet and experience with software(like (Star/Open/Microsoft)Office, Lotus, WP, etc).
3. Introduction to ‘What’s content’. Examples, etc, why you want to create some structure in your content. Why is it usefull?
4. Introduction about Content Management in the Web-world. Show some names(Open Text, Tridion, MediaSurface, SmartSite, etc). Explain what kind of companies do use them.
5. Explain why a CMS isn’t a Document Management System, but can include it.
6. Based on the file structure in the ‘My Documents’-folder, you can easily explain what’s a tree-structure, like Sitecore has.
7. Ask your students what they now expect from Sitecore, the system they are going to work with. You can just figure out in a second if there are any questions left.
8. Show the client, loging in into the desktop, etc. Show them what Sitecore can be in a rush. Show everything, so they got more information then they can ever store in their grey brains(changing desktop, changing UserIcon, name, etc).
9. Then just show the content editor, create a simple item and let them do it.
10. Give your students the oppotunity to play with the HTML-editor
11. Publish their changes and show them to them
12. Walk trough the options of the HTML-editor(like Word-cleanup, etc)
14. Explain the way the Content Editor is designed, where to navigate(will change in 5.3). It will be good to give them a grid with the right names just on a paper(treecrumb, etc).
15. Give the oppotunity to explore the Content Editor, deifferent viewers, etc
16. Show the Media Library, upload a picture, let them do it and insert in the pages which are created before
You can show the Webediting now, altough, if you have a structure which includes both content as the site navigation(50% of the cases, I’ve seen, good one to write an article about ).
After it, you can show the custom templates and applications you’ve made for this production.
Going to create some slides for this and finetune it a bit. Definitelly think I’m on the good way as I’ve seen the reactions this morning.