Upgrading or stay and wait?

One of the things that keep me busy these days are the things Runi Thomson wrote as a comment of this post.
He is reacting on the question of Alexey Rusakov about if SiteCore will be released in both .Net versions or just in one after the release of 5.2.
This is the reaction of Runi:

We certainly hope not. Sitecore version 5.1.1.x will be the last ASP.NET 1.1 version of Sitecore, unless a serious error emerges. We are currently working on version 5.3 which is an all ASP.NET 2.0 version.

I wouldn’t be Alex when I won’t have question about this decision. The questions are mostly technically, but also as partner LECTRIC got the idea that SiteCore would be released in both versions for a while at least till the end of 2006.
Ofcourse I know that ASP.Net 2.0 has got lots of advantages against version 1.1., I even don’t expect hard times developing for my collegues and me(as a matter of fact, I already studied a lot on the new features and am not so damn impressed by the new features, but all off that is another discussion). The main points of discussion are for me actually:
– Hosting of 2.0 definitelly requires Windows 2003. As most servers are still running on Windows 2000 it means that we can’t upgrade those sites easily.
– Developing for 2.0 requires SP2 on XP, some of our customers, which are developing intern, are not able to roll out SP2 for some reason or are not able to do it before Q4 2006. This means that we can not offer them new versions?
– SiteCore reports to the world that they won’t release a new 5.1.x version unless it will be unstable on lots of points. So I guess that SiteCore signs the version as the most stable release? When that’s actually the case, the decision for new projects is quite easy! We will stay on till one of our customers actually does require the new features.
– Practically, what can we expect from new versions? Will the core be fully rewritten so it will be native and not upgrade code? What does this mean for the API? Most developers are finally familiar with the 5.1 API.

I’m a little critical but this is also because I expected SiteCore would give us developers more time to get familiar with 2.0. As our sales department will actually sell the new versions before I can even move my mouth, I expect the first offers are already on their way to the customers. ๐Ÿ˜‰ New technics… pfff ๐Ÿ˜›
Going to sleep now, tomorrow again a SiteCore day.. Going to release another tool of me, the SiteCore security tool, which makes you able to set the security on SQL Server(2000) without haveint to change the script manually(prefixes, role names and logins are configures just ones) guess my last tool in 1.1 :P.

Forgot something! Have to e-mail our sysop that he’s going to search for the stable Visual Studio 2005 CD for me ๐Ÿ™‚

3 thoughts on “Upgrading or stay and wait?”

  1. Hi Alex

    I just want to make myself clear on how Sitecore will be released in the future. Version 5.1.1.x and version 5.2.0.x are actually exactly the same versions of Sitecore รขโ‚ฌโ€œ with the only difference that version 5.1.1.x runs on APS.NET 1.1 and version 5.2.0.x is executed on ASP.NET 2.0 and is compiled using the new C# compiler and ASP.NET compiler.

    There are no differences in the API so developers that are used to work in version 5.1.1.x should have no problems updating to ASP.NET 2.0 (and thereby use version 5.2.0.x).

    – Just to make things clear. Version 5.2.0.x is a 100% ASP.NET 2.0 compiled product with all the benefits it implies.

    – The API will not change in the next version of Sitecore other than the addition of new features and improvements and re-factorings of the code.

    – Sitecore version 5.1.1.x (and version 5.2.0.x) are production releases of Sitecore to date and will remain the official released version for many months to come.

    – I mentioned that we currently are working on version 5.3 of Sitecore – as can be seen on the Sitecore Partner Network. This version will introduce a number of new features and the development time will probably be extensive. As always, previous versions will of course be fully supported. This should give developers the opportunity to get used to developing in ASP.NET 2.0 and gradually move to the new platform.

    – It is the assessment of the Sitecore development team that ASP.NET 2.0 and C# 2.0 are introducing features of great value to developers and end users. Please also bear in mind, that Microsoft has fixed some rather dramatic memory and garabage collector bugs in ASP .NET 2.0. We therefore believe that developers and customers want to upgrade to version 2.0 of ASP.NET within the year 2006. We also believe that we are able to create a better product using the new features of ASP.NET 2.0 that would be overly expensive to implement using ASP.NET 1.1.

    PS: ASP.NET 2.0 executes just fine on a Windows 2000 server.

    Runi Thomsen

  2. Hello Runi,

    Thank you very much for your response.
    The advantages you notice of the .Net Framework in total are really necesarry for a Framework like it is and definitelly helps .Net to grow to an ‘Adult’ Framework which can be compared to J2EE for example(as far as .Net isn’t already comparible to J2EE).
    Altough not much will change in the language and Framework for developers, in my eyes. Most of it are wrappers around W32-Kernel calls and even .Net API calls.
    In my eyes th main reason to upgrade to 2.0 are indeed the security, memory and garbage collector fixes.

    The reason I’m a bit anxious is more that every time a new version is released there is a big possibility that some minor bugs occur.
    SiteCore is, I guess one of the first products which is able to upgrade so soon, but this does not mean that there aren’t child diseases in .Net 2.0 and SC5.2.
    We actually would trust you guys that you know what you do, but still we I’m not at the front row. This also because we can’t make mistakes, our customers will see them directly.

    After all I guess the main problem is more that we – read: the developers of the partners – aren’t well so prepared for the upgrade. As a matter of fact, they didn’t expect Sitecore would fully upgrade so soon.
    And, as I noticed in my post, self developing customers are most of the time even ahead of the Partner itself.

    I guess we must see SiteCore 5.2 as a good step for all of us, and definitelly hope the step to 2.0 will be as easy(or as hard) as the step from 4.3 to 5.0. ๐Ÿ™‚

    About Windows 2000: It definitelly would run .Net 2.0 without problems, but for lots of reasons I’ll prefer IIS 6 to run SiteCore on. First of all take the Application Pool implemntation of v6 against v5.

    As a matter of fact it’s nice to see that you guys react on these kind of blogs. I hope I can show this way that the partners definitelly try to be aware of what’s going on in Denmark and explain this way what their experiences are with SiteCore, the product and the development on it.



  3. Am experiencing some of the same concerns you are having.

    At the moment, the work I’m primarily involved in, is for a client for whom we maintain roughly 14 different websites, only a couple of which are Sitecore solutions.

    We use the same technologies across the board, including sharing User Controls, Server Controls, database layer and well.. most everything.

    Our client will be ready to move to .NET 2.0 eventually, but it means (at the very minumum) recompiling and redeploying those 14 sites. On top of that, there’s likely going to be some degree of code modification – I don’t care HOW interface compatible the two frameworks are alleged to be – noone upgrades a major revision of anything and certainly not a fundamental framework without some sort of incident ๐Ÿ˜‰

    That aside, nothing forces you to upgrade really. will not be the last 1.1 release though. Or atleast I certainly hope not, as there’s atleast a couple of things broken that I’m aware of ๐Ÿ˜‰

Comments are closed.